Tuesday 4 January 2011

4th January 2011 - Help an old lady cross the road

Figuratively speaking! I just remembered that on Christmas Eve, I helped an old lady down the town main street. I had been in the queue in the local card shop behind her and was right behind when she was leaving the shop. It had been snowing the entire weak and everything had just started to melt a little; you know when slushy ice is so awful underfoot? She was obviously very cautious and a bit distressed as she took an absolute age to transfer her balance to the one foot that had made it outside of the shop. Anyway, as I could see she was not coping very well, I offered her a hand and asked her where she was going. She was very nice and she was headed my way, so I said I would be happy to help her get to her destination. She was so thankful, bless her.

As we gingerly made our was down the busy street at a snail's pace, she told me that she was ever so grateful for my help and that she would never normally go outdoors in such weather but she had some personal business to take care of at the post office, so has to venture out. It made me wonder how many people don't have anyone to help them. I, very sadly, no longer have any grandparents and if I thought she wouldn't find me a complete freak, I'd have offered to go and do some jobs for her, but once we got to the shop she was adamant she would be fine and that she was sorry (sorry?!! I ask you!!) that she had taken up my time. I could have cried. What is a few minutes out of a day to help someone who obviously needed it?

Anyway, I still wonder if this lady is okay and I really wonder who she was. I was too shy to ask. It makes me wonder how I can go about getting involved in volunteering some help for the elderly, even just visiting people for some company as it made *me* feel like I was worth something, just to be able to help for those few brief minutes. Poor lady. There must be so many people out these who need a little help...

No comments:

Post a Comment